Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

It has been a busy Memorial Day weekend, between my working on the Memory Book project for my daughter's third grade class and my husband working all weekend. Yesterday our town held it's annual Memorial Day parade and for the third time in her nine years, my eldest daughter marched in it! Daddy had to work, but Grandpa, Gramby, my little girlie and I staked out our spot with lawn chairs and a cooler of snacks and we waited for my girl to march by with her Girl Scout Troop. We got a couple of pictures of her marching -- of course my video camera decided to act up right as I was ready to film her -- and then it started working again immediately after she passed by! Anyway, my girl is the one holding up the big sign -- which she held over her head for the entire mile-long march! What a trooper! She had a great time, but was ready to head back home for a swim in the pool! I had invited a few friends and Grandpa and Gramby (of course!) over for a little bbq after the parade. It was very low-key, but that's just what I like! Not too much fuss - just good friends and family! The kids had a great time in the pool, the guys sat watching them and chatting, and the ladies chatted while pulling together a quick dinner.

I was proud of my 9-year-old for marching in the parade, and I was also proud of my 3-year-old for sitting so patiently through the whole thing! Between getting there early to get a seat, waiting for the parade to start, and then the parade itself, my girl pretty much sat in one spot for 2 hours! To help entertain her, I had a bag with books and toys and aside from looking through one book and munching on a couple of snacks, she sat on my lap clapping and waving her little flag the entire time! I pointed out to her every time a soldier came by, and explained that we were there to celebrate them -- that is what Memorial Day is all about. I think it's important to make sure that my children understand that this parade is not just about the clowns and the bands (and ALL of the politicians marching...), but it's about our troops - past and present.

As I've mentioned (maybe one or two times...), I LOVE holiday decorations! The weather has been so nice here and the pool is swimmable (is that a word?) and with the impromptu parade "after-party" I decided to pull out my 4th of July decorations early! I figure between Memorial Day, Flag Day and 4th of July I can leave them up until July!! (Check out Paddy, -- he's all dressed for the season, too!) I love to make the holidays festive for my family, and any friends who happen by. It's a small thing that I like to do to show my family that I care -- and I think that it adds to the special feeling of a home!

Today Daddy is home and we are looking forward to spending the day together, outside enjoying the pool and the nice weather! Enjoy your day with your family!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm very proud of your LO for being very patient.

BTW-When I was heading over to my niece's house that day around 2pm I spotted a few places where people set up blankets to on the parade route.

God Bless Our Troops!

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

Yes, I drove out about that time to scope out where I needed to bring Liv to line up for the parade and I saw people setting up their chairs and blankets!