Monday, May 3, 2010

Don't Forget to Take Care of Yourself, Too!

I think that it’s part of a parent’s nature to focus on the needs of the kids and the needs of the family, sometimes forgetting to focus on our own needs! I know for myself, I tend to worry about when the kids need to get to the doctors, are the kids eating right, are they getting enough sleep, etc. – and I don’t always pay as much attention to things that will keep me healthy. Next year, I will be turning 40, and I think that has helped me to put things into perspective and realize that I am not “indestructible” as I may have thought, subconsciously. And I realize that in addition to taking care of my girls, I need to take care of myself so that I am always around for them! So, I am trying to make this a year of well being for me. I had a physical this year, I am trying to eat right – I still have to work on that sleeping thing… But I am trying to work in some time to take care of myself. (I even made an eye appointment for this week – which is LONG overdue!)

And it’s not just important to focus on your physical well being – mental and emotional well being is a necessity, too! We spend so much time running the kids from this activity or this play-date to that one – take some time and do something fun for you! Last month, my husband and I were fortunate to be able to leave the kids with Grandpa & Gramby for a night and we went to an inn for an overnight! This was such a treat for us, and it was a treat for the kids to have a sleepover with their grandparents. Normally, it’s not in the budget for us to go away on an overnight like that, but I think two years ago for our 10th anniversary the kids stayed with Grandpa & Gramby and we had a “stay-cation” at home! It doesn’t matter where you go – it’s the point of taking time out of your busy schedule to focus on you for a change.

Ladies, I think see a girl’s night in our future! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post and it's a great reminder that if you are good to yourself then you can be your best for the ones you love. I also believe that you are sending out a great message to your girls that although you love them and worry about them all the time it's important for Mommy to take time for herself.

Um girls night...well Sex and The City 2 is hitting the theater soon...

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

Very important lesson for all of us to learn -- we are important too! :)

Um, yes, my thoughts exactly!