Monday, January 7, 2008

The Late, Late Show - Part II

So, today was my first day back to work after being off for about 2-1/2 weeks. I had it all planned out yesterday -- if my little one was up for her late show again, I was going to pass "baby duty" on to my husband! He did not have to go in until 11:00am today. What do they say about the best laid plans?

I tried to get to bed early last night, because I was feeling quite tired and rundown, and I had an early morning ahead of me. Well! 11:00pm and the "show" starts! A little singing, a little fussing (not too much), a lot of babbling, and some name calling -- "Dada! Yaya! (That's what she calls her older sister) Mama!" Like she was calling us in to join the party... My husband slept through this, and I being Mrs. Nice-Guy, decide, well, I'm still awake, I try to get her back to bed. Yeah. I tried a few of the usual tricks that work -- picking her up for a quick snuggle, tucking her in under her blankets again, putting on her soothing "go to sleep" music. At one point I tried rocking her in the glider (lights off, of course) -- that garnered a number of "What is that's" which kind of runs together as a one cute word, along with the finger, pointing around the room. I was good -- I only went in twice, one trip included a diaper change, and one trip included a half of a bottle of milk. Mostly I laid awake willing her to go to sleep and thinking about how to get her to sleep, and then thinking about how I would write about this on my blog today, and then thinking about my older daughter's upcoming birthday party and what I am going to put in the goodie bags... This is how my mind works in the middle of the night (well, any time, really!).
And at 12:40am, I was getting back into bed after the diaper change and my husband rolled over so I decided he was awake enough for me to say, "It is 12:40 in the morning and I have not slept at all because she is WIDE AWAKE and I have to go to work tomorrow, so I vote that the next time someone needs to get up with her -- you do it!" Which was received by a sleepy grunt, and then I got into bed and proceeded to lie awake until about 3:00 - 3:30am -- I did not go in there again, but she was completely awake the entire time, as was I. Sigh... I just cannot seem to go to sleep while one of my children is up -- whether I'm "on duty" or my husband is -- I still hear everything, occasionally think "why is he doing it that way?" and feel as though I should just take care of things myself. Terrible, I know!
I made sure that she got 2 nap in today, so that when I put her down to bed tonight she didn't think that that was her second nap! And, she does not seem congested today, so I took the Vapor Plug out -- I was wondering if perhaps that was too "invigorating" of a smell for her! So wish me good luck -- I'm hoping for the best, and we'll see how it goes! I welcome any advice that anyone has to offer!
But really, regardless of the lack of sleep, you can't look at that sweet little face and be too irritated! :)

No comments: