Friday, September 28, 2007

Lunchbox Notes and Other Expressions of Love

Note writing has become a big thing in our house, ever since school started this month. On the first day of school, I decided to put a little note in my daughter's lunchbox to let her know I was thinking of her. It was short and sweet, a simple "Have a great day, Love Mommy" because I was not certain of what is "cool" in the first grade, and what would be considered baby-ish... I'm sure there is a fine line! Well, turns out this note was well received by my daughter, and so I put another, similar note in the next day's lunch. And then I started getting requests, "Write a longer note, Mommy!" So, this has continued every day since the beginning of school and each day I have to write something different -- no more short and sweet! I will sometimes say something about the classes she has for that day (gym day, art, music) or remind her about turning her library book in, or even mention what I am planning for dinner. I try to do the notes on different types of paper, or add stickers, or sometimes I even fold them and "address" the outside to make it look like an envelope.

The other day, I opened up my purse at work and found that I had a note inside. It said, "Dear Mommy, If you would like ice cream please sign here: ________________ Love, " I thought that was just about the sweetest thing -- and very cool with the "Mommy crowd" -- I can't wait to see what's in there on Monday!

Lunchbox notes are another thing to add to the "to do list" every night, but they are obviously appreciated, and well worth the effort!

2 comments:

Teamcarbone said...

How sweet she thought of her mommy! It's very hard to know what is "cool" when it comes to our little ones. It's also a bit sad that we have to worry about what the 1st graders think.

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

I know -- and it's funny because there are some things that I would think might embarrass my girl and don't, and other things that are apparently SO emabarrassing to her! It starts so young...