Saturday, March 28, 2009

Quick Tips for Hard-Boiled Eggs

Easter is around the corner, and so is the annual Easter egg decorating with the kids! I always used to have a problem with eggs cracking while they were cooking -- too many in the pot, rolling around... Well, I saw this tip on a cooking show once and I've tried it many times with great success. Next time you need to boil a large quantity of eggs, layer them in between a clean dish towel (preferably white or white-ish), fill the pot with water and let it boil. The towel cushions the eggs, they cook just as if the towel were not there, but they don't break as easily!

And "Gramby and Grandpa" always tell me (and I always need to ask -- now I can just read this post!) that for the perfect hard boiled eggs, you put the eggs into a pot of cold water, bring the pot to a boil, then turn the stove off, leave the pot's cover on, and let the eggs sit for 15 - 18 mins. Rinse the eggs in cold water immediately, and then you can put them in a container in the fridge until you are ready to use them.

No comments: