Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bring Out Those Holiday Pictures!

I grew up in a family full of Kodak workers, and my father was a professional photographer -- translation, we take a LOT of pictures in our house! I used to let them pile up -- I was not great about putting them into albums. Then I started with those small, plastic albums that fit 100 4x6 pictures. Then I finally found a type of album where the photos slide in (I just hate those albums with the plastic film that peels off and the photo sticks to the sticky side...), and I especially love the ones with the lines to write a caption. So, I've gotten better about putting my pictures into something more "user-friendly" than a box in the closet. But my favorite thing is to actually display the pictures in frames -- I have tons of framed pictures out on display. People who come to our house probably think that we are ridiculously fond of ourselves... Again, my dad was a photographer...

Anyway, I always take tons of pictures at the holidays -- Christmas and Halloween, in particular. But I feel funny leaving such seasonal pictures out all year long, so for quite a number of years they stayed in the album (or the closet). Until I decided to make the house more festive at Christmas one year and I changed over my usual picture frames and filled them with pictures we'd taken from past Christmases. I left the regular pictures in the frames behind the Christmas pictures, to make it easier to switch them back -- I'm all about making things easier for myself!

I have always wanted to have a Halloween party, and this year we are having a Halloween-themed costume dinner party the weekend before Halloween, so I decided to pull out the cute pictures of the kids in costume and fill the frames. And then once again, when the holiday is over, I will leave those in the back of the frame so that I can easily switch them out again next Halloween! I think this is a great way to enjoy the seasonal pictures and also rotate your pictures so that you don't tired of looking at the same ones all the time!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I wish I were you :)

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

What a coincidence! I wish I were you, too!

Actually, my dear, I remember years ago being at our favorite store (on lunch, of course) and you getting some Christmas pictures that you were going to put up on the wall in place of other pictures that you had up (prints -- not photos), and I thought, oh my gosh I could never remember to do that! So, I actually think the idea sparked with you! (So thanks!)

Teamcarbone said...

I love this idea thanks for sharing and I plan to put it in use. :)