Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pumpkin Fairy House

We carved pumpkins on Sunday -- beautiful fall day!  We were able to do most of the messy stuff outside on the table in the backyard -- no fuss, no muss!  ;)  My husband helped my 13-year-old, and she chose a "tri-force" (3 triangles that make up 1 large triangle -- it's from Legend of Zelda, if I'm not mistaken!) and I carved a pumpkin fairy house for my little one!  As my 13-year-old said, "Mommy, I think your inner child is coming out in this one!"  True story!  I saw a picture of this online (Pinterest?) and I had kept it in mind for this Halloween, as my 8-year-old is ALL about fairies!!  It was quite simple, actually. 

First, I carved the top, as you would with most pumpkins.  Then I carved a "door" on the front side of the pumpkin -- as you can see in the picture, I tried to be artsy and I kind of angled the top -- totally up to you what shape you want to use!  This "door" is really just the opening to the fairy house -- can be any shape and you can just throw that piece out -- no need to keep it.  Then I carved 2 windows, one on either side of the door.  I cleaned out all of the "guts" and seeds -- saved the seeds to roast, of course!  My little girlie found some sticks in the backyard and I used those to make panes in the windows -- simply cut them (broke them) to be a tiny bit bigger than the windows and then stuck them into the flesh of the pumpkin.  They fit perfectly! 

I had purchased some of the battery-operated candles for our pumpkins this year -- safer than lit candles -- and I put one of them inside as though it were a little campfire for the fairies.  I also added some acorns and small pine cones that I found around our yard (use whatever you think fairies would decorate with!).  I also made a little ladder our of twigs, twine, and some pony beads, just for a little bling!  ;)  As a finishing touch, I put some white glue on the top of the pumpkin and dusted it with white glitter so that it would look snow-capped or fairy-dusted -- use your imagination! 

After I was all done, Tinkerbell and her sister Periwinkle moved in and my daughter could not be happier!




No comments: