Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rainy Day Fun in Autumn

For weeks we have planned to take the girls trick-or-treating at the Genesee Country Village, but alas, Hurricane Sandy is dampening our plans - literally!  We very nearly went in spite of the cold, damp weather -- our 11-year-old desperately wanted to go! -- but when it started pouring rain we were able to talk her into staying at home today.  She is dressed in her pioneer dress (what she would have worn to GCV) and we are having a day of pumpkin painting & carving, Halloween crafts, and baking, with a special viewing of a "Little House on the Prairie" Halloween episode for our eldest daughter, and "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" for our youngest! 

My husband and I have to carve our pumpkins - I can hear my eldest daughter telling her dad to carve the NY Islanders (our favorite team) logo into his pumpkin...  And of course, I'll make a batch of pumpkin seeds - yum!  My little one painted a princess face on her pumpkin and when it's dry, we'll put one of her tiaras on top.  My eldest loves video games (in spite of her longing to be a pioneer...) and she painted one of the PacMan ghosts on her pumpkin -- she did a great job!

I have roast beef in the crock-pot, banana bread in the works, and apple crisp for dessert.  I have the Halloween lights on and yummy smelling candles lit -- it's a wonderfully cozy day at home!  And my little girlie found another cozy thing to do on a rainy day -- tea party for her One Hundred Acre Woods friends! 


No comments: