Saturday, December 29, 2007

Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday -- ours was very nice (I'll share more later) but I was battling bronchitis over the holiday and I'm still getting over it, and so now begins our next favorite season - cold and flu season! Yesterday my youngest (17 month old) came down with a cold and I was up with her until about 2:30am trying to make her comfortable, trying to bring down her fever, and trying to wage a war against everything that was coming out of her nose... Poor sweetie!!


So this is just a quick post to let you know that I am still here, and I wanted to take this opportunity to share my admiration for this wonderful product that has been a god-send! Perhaps that sounds dramatic, but seriously -- this is a WONDERFUL product! I grew up on Vick's Vapo-Rub, and I do swear by that for myself. But, even calling it "Mommy's lotion" to my product-loving eldest daughter, did not sway her into letting me apply it to her to help her get to sleep when she had a cold and stuffy nose. We would do our best to get her to sleep without it, and then I would sneak in and rub a little on the back of her neck to help clear up her stuffy nose, but not totally overpower her with it. Well, then PediaCare came out with this great Vapor Plug that you slip a little medicated pad into and plug it into the wall, and it works like a charm every time! My daughter actually ASKS us to plug it in now when she is congested.
And for anyone who has ever had a small child who is clearly "addicted" to her pacifier ("binky" in our house) -- there is nothing worse than a child that needs the pacifier to get to sleep, but can't breathe through their stuffy nose, and is just completely miserable suffering between wating to breathe through their mouth, but wanting their pacifier all at the same time. This has really worked wonders in our house -- we have one for each child's room, and last night we used them both and eventually both girls slept peacefully through the night!
Just had to spread the word to any other moms in need! Breathe easy! ;)

4 comments:

Christine said...

Love this! We use it too. Emma calls it her sick light! You know, they do have baby vicks. We use that too and it works really well and is not as strong at the real thing.

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

Yes, actually I started using that after I had Kenzie -- I still use that too, although Liv is not enthralled with it...

Teamcarbone said...

Love Vicks too. I used the baby one you gave me De when Makayla had a cold. Not sure how much it helped her but it made me feel good knowing I had something to offer her.

I bought the Vicks plug but haven't had to use it, which I take it to be a good thing. Good to know it works really well, I have a cold now maybe I'll break it in! LOL

The Fine Art of Motherhood said...

If you use it, put it in a plug near your bed -- I had mine halfway across the room and it didn't do much for me when I tried it for my own stuffy nose!